Roslan bin Bakar

Roslan was arrested on 18 July 2008 and subsequently charged with trafficking 96.07 grams of diamorphine and 76.37 grams of methamphetamine. When Roslan was arrested, no drugs were found on him.

The prosecution’s case relied on the testimonies of three of the four men who were at the scene. Norzainy bin Zainal was the only person who testified that Roslan was not at the scene on 14 June 2008. Besides that, his mother and step-brother Shamsubari stood as his alibi stating that Roslan was at home and then at the Turf club on the day of the alleged crime.

During the trial, his lawyer submitted that although officials from the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) had been monitoring vehicles used on the day of the alleged crime, “not a single CNB officer had given evidence” that Roslan had been at the scene. Furthermore, the other men provided a phone number that Roslan had apparently used to make calls setting up the whole drug pick-up, but no evidence was given to prove that the number provided belonged to Roslan. In fact, when the Court inquired about the ownership of the number, the Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) informed the Court that it belonged to a woman by the name of Wang Yanghua who was no longer in Singapore.

During the cross examination of Narudahu Putra bin Nordin, one of the men who had initially confirmed Roslan’s involvement, he admitted that “the reduction of the [capital] charge acted as an inducement for him to testify against Roslan”. He said that the instructions from his lawyers were that “when he take the offer [of the reduced charge], he had to attend Court hearing as what he was doing now”.

High Court Judge Choo Han Teck dismissed Roslan’s mother’s testimony saying that she did not have much recollection of the day and his step-brother seemed too anxious to provide an alibi, hence he stated in his judgment, “contrasting their evidence with that of Nuradaha, Zamri, Norzainy, and Pausi, I am satisfied that the alibi was not true”. Regarding Norzainy’s testimony, Judge Choo stated in his judgment,”I am mindful that Norzainy was trying his best not to identify Roslan, but his denial, inserted in the rest of his evidence and that of the others, strengthened the prosecution’s case against Roslan”.

Roslan was found guilty and sentenced to death on 22 April 2010. His appeal has been dismissed by the Court of Appeal on 17 March 2011 and he is currently awaiting the decision on his clemency appeal which was submitted on 28 June 2011.

[All pdf files were downloaded from We Believe in Second Chances]